Friday, June 5, 2009

Rwanda Countdown: 12 Hours!


Note: To anyone who normally reads this for transit commentary, if you don't want to read about a 17 year-old kid going to Rwanda for two weeks of cultural and genocide study, don't read this for the next two weeks. If that sounds interesting to you, by all means continue reading.


If you're reading this, you got the message somehow, either via facebook or through the email I'll be sending to the family list.

For anyone who doesn't yet know, I will be traveling to Rwanda tomorrow with 18 other students and 4 teachers for two weeks of cultural and genocide study. I plan on using this as a medium for keeping in contact with everyone whenever I manage to get internet access. I think that I will probably have internet almost every day while I'm in Kigali but I doubt that I will have any while in Ruhengeri. I plan on giving a relatively detailed account of what we did since the last update. I also plan on posting videos and photos on here once I get back (I've got a camcorder with me).

The leaders of the trip, James Cave and Dave Kuntz, both history teachers at my school, will also be keeping a blog. You can find their accounts of their two previous trips to Rwanda there, along with an account of their brief but scary trip into the DRC.

We had an exciting change of plans that we just found out about today: Our group has been invited by the president of the United Nations court for the prosecution of genociaires from Rwanda, located in Arusha, Tanzania. He has offered to fly us in, all expenses paid, on a charter plane out of Kigali. We will be doing this on either the 10th or the 16th.

We leave MSP at 2:00 tomorrow, bound for Chicago, then Brussells, then finally Kigali.

Until next time,
-Drew

1 comment: